Tuesday, September 28, 2010

CRM REVISITED YET AGAIN

by Hank Trisler

Today I got a note from an old pal. He speaks of being too late for the blog, but it's never too late to express a good idea.

"Hank,
 
"Your quest for a new CRM got me to thinking that the direction of more reports and features, as commented on your blog, is just so wrong. It is the direction that the non-field folks wanted, and since they approve the budgets, the warriors (that would be sales folks) get crappy goods for CRM. 

"To my current way of thinking, the right direction is to ask, “How do I get this to work with my handheld (iPhone, Blackberry, Droid, etc.)?” I don’t know the answer, but that is the real question. Anything that can’t be done by a sales person with their smart phone is probably generating questionable return.

"My two bits – sorry I didn’t get it into the blog."

Paul

Paul Sakamoto is the CEO of DFT Microsystems, a high tech firm based in Montreal. He's been my customer and friend for over thirty years and I value his opinion highly.

I'm strongly leaning in Paul's direction. My whole system now consists of Outlook kluged together with Word and running on a laptop and my iPhone. I'm pretty much self-contained wherever I go and I don't have to file no steenking reports with anydamnbody.
Of all the systems I heard of, by far the most fascinating to me was that created by Dale Loflin. He has stitched together Android, Gmail, Google documents and some arcane incantations to come up with something that will handle all his correspondence, record keeping  and time management and do it all by voice actuation. That, to me, is the ultimate Road Warrior. His whole office is in his hip pocket. I've asked Dale to tell me more about his system, but he hasn't had time to respond, yet. 

Is this information something you'd like to have? Have you any systems of which you are particularly fond, especially those of the totally portable variety? Please let me know where your head is by posting a comment below.

2 comments:

  1. I spent ten years developing a really smart CRM called "Cyrano". Recently, I came to the "Aha!" moment that top-producing salespeople, rainmakers and/or professional service providers shouldn't use mine or any other system. They should only use a telephone! Learn why at: www.CyranoService.com

    Let me know if you agree.

    Best,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone so fortunate as to have Scott Zimmerman promoting him is fortunate indeed. This is a terrific program and well worth the time you'll invest in watching his demo video. Cyrano fulfills the requirements of self-containment to the extreme. Good on ya, Scott.

    ReplyDelete

Please give me the benefit of your thinking. Leave your considered comments here.