Saturday, May 9, 2009

SELLING TO GEEZERS


By Hank Trisler

Friend and long-time TRISLER TIMES subscriber, Charlie Runion, of Roswell, GA, left a message on our website, www.nobullselling.com, asking for some information about selling insurance to senior citizens. I have no idea why he would think me expert in these matters, save the fact that I, myself, have achieved codgerhood by a considerable margin, but lack of knowledge has never stopped me in the past, so here goes.

We geezers are not all that much different from the rest of you. You still need to ask a lot of questions, find out what we want and show us how to get it. All the basic stuff, just like you civilians.

Having said that, there are some differences. Most of my friends are also codgers. We seem to run in groups. I play golf and tennis with geezers and seldom find myself in close proximity with twenty-something individuals. This tells me that those wishing to sell something to me would be well advised to find out what I read and advertise there. To find out where I hang out and spend some time there. To find out what I hold dear and support that cause. Build affinity by proximity.

We look a little different from some of you younger folks. I have a distrust of people wearing goatees and shaved heads. I have a great deal of difficulty buying from those with jewelry piercing visible body parts. Green and purple hair puts me off.

Though our common language may be English, we seem to speak differently than some of you. Phrases such as, "You know?" "I'm all. . ." and "Like. . ." are not only foreign, but mildly offensive to me.

Rightly or wrongly, I think that merely having lived long enough to have achieved codgerhood garners me a modicum of respect. I bristle when a young waiter says to us, "What'll you guys have?" I know they mean no ill, but Barbara and I are not guys, we're geezers, with all the attendant respect that title deserves. I am drawn to people who respect my views and solicit my opinion.

The further I progress into geezerdom, the less mobile I become. I'm told that this is a trend likely to continue. People who make it easy for me to buy will probably get my business. Home delivery, websites, meetings at places I frequent and the like are of benefit to me and mine.

Though I am getting progressively less mobile, I'm not getting more stupid. I don't want people to talk loud and slow to me, predicated on the assumption that I am dim and hearing impaired. I think I've learned a few things over the years and dislike people who condescend to me.

This is by no means a complete guide to selling to geezers, but merely a starting point. I solicit your stories, theories, experiences and strategies of separating we codgers from our money.

5 comments:

  1. Well stated Hank!

    Many companies are investing in training to help leaders manage a multi generational workforce. It would be wise for them to include selling the multi generational buyers and consumers.

    Let's face it Hank, a huge chunk of our population is moving and will be moving into this group shortly. Understanding things from the other person's world is never a bad thing.

    Thank you for the wake up call Hank!

    Respectfully
    Paul Castain

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bit of prose did not help me "sell more, in less time, with better margins," etc., etc., but I did have fun in the process.

    Thanks for the chuckle, Chuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised Hank. I have found that Geezerdom is often more a state of mind than a state of age. As we age we can tend to build ourselves a box based upon our experiences, our likes and our generation. It was our music that was the best, our war the toughest, our generation the smartest.

    I am 57 years old. I too am slowing down and I hope that I am aging with a bit of grace. I do business with many in the semiconductor industry that are pierced, inked and have either shaved heads and soul patches or goatees, some with colored hair. I find that if I want to sell to them I simply listen to their needs as I would do for someone that is closer to or past my age.
    I like the idea of pointing out the need to address each person according to their time, place and situation but I find it sad that those of our generation so easily slip into the same judgement of someone elses image that our parents had with us.

    If we are to successfully sell across generations then we need to be able to listen past the image.

    Nancy Weavers
    CEO/ Left Coast Instruments

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was selling cars, a majority of my clients were senior citizens. In fact I preferred to sell to them for several reasons.

    First of all, they were more patient and were more apt to listen. Secondly, most knew what they wanted and lastly and most importantly, they would buy from you if you could rapport with them. It made selling a pleasure. As always, I would treat them with the same respect I would give any other client.

    Many of them, despite their "age" became repeat customers, the highest compliment I could get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Nancy and Clint, for your excellent observations. I really appreciate your contribution to the discussion. As a geezer, I'd be proud to buy from either of you.

    ReplyDelete

Please give me the benefit of your thinking. Leave your considered comments here.