Wednesday, September 1, 2010

THE HUNT FOR CRM (III)

by Hank Trisler

You may remember that Dale Loflin wrote eloquently--in comments to the first post in this thread--about a system he kluged together based on GMail and Android. He says it will send and receive email, write letters, do everything but wax your car and do it all by voice activation. There's even a GPS which he claims is superior to that offered by Garmin.

Dale is an extremely intelligent and credible gentleman and I trust him implicitly. I could no more operate a system like his than run a marathon, much less invent and assemble it. If you want to know more about it, write Dale and he'll probably steer you in the right direction. He doesn't sell them for a living, though he probably should.

ACT!, by Sage, is the CRM package most often mentioned by the folks who wrote me. It is without question a very capable, if uninspiring package. The most common complaint was about the customer support, or lack thereof. I downloaded a thirty-day trial package, which claimed it would link with Outlook, but not in the trial package. Same with Word. 

I don't want to download a trial package to be told what it will do, I want to see it work. The package further instructed me not to call, as there was no support available on the trial package.

If there's ever a time you need support, it's when you're first using a program. I wrote a scathing email to ACT!, and got a response from a nice lady who promised to call me to address my concerns the following day. She never did.

I uninstalled ACT! with a bit of sadness, as I'd thought it might be the answer to my problem. It even ran on the desktop, as I wanted it to.

My friend, Jeffrey Gitomer, was only one of MANY people writing to tell me about his program, Ace of Sales. It is a bona fide, guaranteed winner. If you want lots of tables, graphs and reports, look elsewhere. If you just want to sell stuff and brand yourself and stand out from the madding crowd, take a good look at Ace of Sales. It will guide you to create email that really packs a punch. It will do ezines, flyers, post cards, letters and greeting cards quickly, easily and professionally. If you can't look good with this program, you're just not good looking.

Ace of Sales runs "in the cloud," which means all your data resides on Jeffrey's servers. This is not nearly as scary as it sounds, as the data is encrypted and safeguarded. Running in the cloud means you can access your information with any computer, anywhere you can log onto the internet. It doesn't handle incoming email, so you still need to run Outlook, or something as an email client. The downside of running in the cloud is that it seems to run a bit slow. So plan ahead.

The real ball-buster for me is that it will not sync with my iPhone. My iPhone is permanently affixed to my body and any program that will not sync with it is a non-starter, in my view.

If you want a program to help you plan a sales campaign and then execute it with style and panache, you're going to have a hard time beating Ace of Sales.

I have a couple more programs that I'm evaluating, so I'll plan to write my final installment tomorrow. If you have any thoughts, comments or questions, now would be an excellent time to flush them out, you should pardon the expression.



5 comments:

  1. Hank, have you looked at Salesforce.com Enterprise? Only $1,500 per year (I believe) for single user and you can demo for 30-days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hank, I am glad to see your review of Act and Ace of Sales. I personally had a similar experience with ACT and fell in love with Ace of Sales and the tools they offer. The video training and social media tools make the system stand out from others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hank,

    My experience with CRM's is that most are over-stuffed with features that are not used. In short, the sales person spends all of their time managing the features vs making sales.

    Enter Ace of Sales. It's designed to make more sales while building relationships. Thus allowing for repeat business. A sales person dream.

    This program is a personal brand builder and allows us sales people to use it as part of our daily function.

    Ace of Sales is still very much in its' infancy. It will continue to evolve as more features are added. Jeffrey Gitomer has the brand moving and his team is incredible at executing.

    Andy Horner, Ace of Sales Chief Architect is very creative and passionate. He loves helping people and helping them succeed.

    I have used Ace of Sales for 6 months now and it has helped me in lots of areas;
    1) Increased sales
    2) Repeat Business
    3) Brand builder (both personal and business)
    4) Time saver
    5) Presents me as a professional with a twist of flare.
    6) Given me a voice to my community

    Over time, I feel this will be the sales persons choice for a communication software.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hank, this has been a very interesting topic. I'm a really techie kind of guy, but for CRM functions, I think this is a weakness because I know I am attracted to powerful, but time wasting (e.g. not focusing on customers directly) programs and technology. Knowing that I must be kept from figuring out how to sync my Blackberry and create "powerful reports" and stuff, the appealing packages you mention are Cyrano and Ace of Sales. In a way, calling Cyrano and having them use Ace of Sales to expand their services to give me an ezine, etc. as well as the neat stuff they already claim to do would be close to ideal. Just like some folks buy "fractional jet" ownership, a lot of us really don't need or want "CRM" per se, but would rather have a "fractional super-secretary and MARCOM department" function that's all there when you need them and not costing money when they're not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Gary. Salesforce is a very good choice, especially for the more detail-minded among us. I found it a little daunting myself. Just sayin'...

    Lisa, the more I dig, the better Ace of Sales looks. Thanks for your thoughts.

    Jeff, you sound like a commercial for Ace of Sales. Our old pal, Jeffrey Gitomer wouldn't be salting the mine, would he?

    Leave it to you, Paul, to take a confusing situation and complicate it. You're the guy who got me to do my newsletter in two different .pdf resolutions. I think you'd need to talk with Zimmerman about what he might be able to do for you with Cyrano. I think you'll find him ultimately flexible. With Ace of Sales, you're still going to have to drive it.

    Lastly, Juan in Spain. I think the long distance charges would break you up in business with Cyrano, but you could call them and discuss it.

    ReplyDelete

Please give me the benefit of your thinking. Leave your considered comments here.